Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Access Database Project



Access, you are a pain in the butt.

Access looked so easy to use during the lecture, but I found it a little difficult to use. Thankfully the project was straightforward and matched the lectures. I had trouble going back and forth going between Design and Table views because I kept getting error messages about my validation criteria. When I tried to go to Table view to check the data, it wouldn't allow me to leave Design view without deleting my validations or deleting the actual data. Aside from pesky issues like that, the project went smoothly. I learned how to create reports, forms, and queries. I think the tool I would get the most use out of is the form tool, its a quick and easy way to store and add information that can be easily read and/or retrieved even by someone who is not familiar with Access.

For the first part of the project, I tried to add a lot of validation data and text, exploring different criteria options that were explained in the lectures. To make the database less prone to mistakes in data entry, I'd suggest using those tools through the various projects like the forms or reports. I definitely liked how easy it is to design reports, not many programs offer that kind of layout flexibility. Overall, Access is worth learning in conjunction with Excel, it just takes a little patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment