Monday, October 31, 2011

Week 10: Clear on Access

I have never had any experience with Microsoft Access before, except occasionally scrolling past it to get to other programs like Word or PowerPoint. In fact, I thought it was one of those annoying, rarely-used programs like Outlook (yes, I just called it outdated. I might be wrong, but I'm strictly working off first impressions here.)

Anyways, I expected to watch this week's lectures in a state of sad confusion. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this wasn't a scary program at all, and it was probably even more intuitive that Excel. Granted, there is a bit of a learning curve with the interface, but I found a variety of features that just seemed to make perfect sense for usability. For example, in Excel, if you want to make a slew of tests, limits, exceptions, etc., you've got to come up with the perfect formula and proceed to stick it in a cell. With Access, fields come with nifty things like property boxes and result sets which allow you to sort information with a super easy-to-use drop down box. No more trying to figure out long equations, just tell Access what you want it to do.

So far, Access seems pretty easy to use as far as creating forms and reports, much easier than Excel's pivot graphs. However, the actual Access project has yet to be started, so I could be singing a different tune come next blog post. But we'll see, maybe I found my new best friend.

Graphic Source: Flickr user Tillwe

No comments:

Post a Comment